A marriage contract is a legal written document that is signed by the spouses before or after marriage. In this document, the necessary information of the spouses and some basic rules and regulations of marriage are written. It is essential to sign a marriage contract for getting married.
This document is needed in some cases because marriage is generally a process of making a relationship between a man and a woman public. If you want to know more about a marriage contract, you have come to the right place. In this article, we will discuss “What is a marriage contract?”. Hopefully, it will be informative for you.
What is a Marriage Contract?
A marriage contract is a document of marriage that is signed by a man and a woman for making the relation between them legal. If someone asks for the legality of your relationship, you can show him the marriage contract. Actually, marriage is a union between two persons who are called spouses that create rights and obligations between them.
The marriage contract says how you can deal with the issues while spouses are staying together or the end of their relation. In the case of Muslim marriage, all the things regarding Mahr will be written in the marriage contract. Mahr is an agreement where the husband promises to pay a fixed amount of money or property.
The amount of the Mahr, time for paying it, and the conditions are written in a marriage contract. As a marriage contract is an essential document of a marriage, you have some rules when you are making it. You are giving some important rules which must be followed. These are as follows:
- Written Agreement: A marriage contract is always a written document. It is not possible to make this type of relevant contract orally. So, it must be written.
- Signed by both Parties: Both parties must sign the marriage contract. Without the signature or consent of both parties, the marriage contract will not be valid.
- Signatures must be witnessed: The signature of both parties must be done in front of the marriage register or some of these kinds of people because here, it is essential to make sure that some legal persons witness the signature of both parties.
- Responsibilities and Obligations should be mentioned: All of the duties and obligations of both spouses should be specified in the marriage contract. It is vital for both parties for their future safety.
So, these are the requirements, and these should be appropriately maintained for a successful marriage.
Why is Marriage Contract Important?
It is imperative to get a marriage contract for saving time, money, and a lot of hassles in some cases because it is related to property, spousal support, child support, and these types of crucial things. Here we are giving you some importance of marriage contract for mentioning its significance. These are as follows:
- Control over the property: Marriage contract will give you excellent control over the property after the separation. If you don’t have any contract, the property will be divided according to the law of your area, and this can reduce a significant amount of payment.
- Reduce hassle at the time of separation: It is a must say that if you have a marriage contract, the troubles at the time of termination will be diminished at a significant level. Your time and money will also be saved, and it can also reduce the conflict between the spouses during divorce.
- Importance in plan: Generally, in a marriage contract, the financial issues, inheritance issues, future aspirations, and some critical issues like these are mentioned. So, it will be helpful for the next plan and security of the life of both spouses.
These are the most notable importance of a marriage contract.
A marriage contract is a contract in which it is mentioned how to deal with your partner. In this article, we discussed what is a marriage contract in detail. Hopefully, it will be beneficial for you to know about it and the proper use of it.