Getting a smart thermostat for your home is a great way to make your home more comfortable while lowering your bills at the same time. With smart technology, you can adjust your home’s thermostat from anywhere, even when you’re out of the house. If you’ve got a smart thermostat but aren’t sure how to tell if you’re taking maximum advantage of it, here are the top tips you need to make sure your thermostat is working as intended and how to change things if it’s not.
Is Your Thermostat Working Properly?
Before learning how to maximize the benefits of your smart thermostat, you have to know how to check that your thermostat and HVAC system are working as intended. Take time to perform these checks and ensure that your system is working at its best:
- Check your energy bill. The easiest sign that something is wrong with your thermostat and home heating and cooling system is a spike in your energy costs. If you’ve seen increased usage that can’t be fully explained by changing weather, you may be having thermostat problems.
- Pay attention to your comfort levels. The purpose of your home’s HVAC system is to make your home comfortable. If interior temperatures are inconsistent or unpleasant, you likely have thermostat or HVAC issues that need to be addressed.
- Listen for trouble. It’s likely that your home’s HVAC system doesn’t operate entirely noiselessly, which makes it easy to know when it’s on or off. If you notice your system turning on then off again frequently throughout the day, it could be a warning sign.
- Feel around your vents. When your home is too hot or cold and your thermostat is on, the easiest check to make is to feel at a vent for airflow. Still air means either your thermostat or HVAC system isn’t working correctly.
- Use a thermometer. When in doubt, a thermometer is the most foolproof way to test your thermostat. Place it in your room and see where the temperature lands. If it doesn’t match your setting, something is off.
Image via Flickr by Antonio Silveira
How to Get the Most Out of Your Smart Thermostat
In order to make full use of your smart thermostat, you need to be sure you’re taking full advantage of its features. Here are the best ways to maximize your benefits:
- Use smart technology to your advantage. While most modern thermostats let you set timers to minimize use, smart thermostats take it to a new level. Rather than estimating when you’re home or away, you can turn your system off when you leave and remotely trigger it when you’re close to home for optimal temperatures at minimum costs.
- Stay on top of simple maintenance. Regular maintenance is key for your smart thermostat and HVAC system. In addition to regular servicing, keep your thermostat clean and its batteries charged.
- Use remote sensors. Another key perk, smart sensors let you place one in each room for more accurate readings than a single wall unit.
A smart thermostat is a welcome addition to any home. By following these smart thermostat tips, you can ensure you are seeing the full benefits of implementing smart technology in your home. You’ll love saving money while keeping your house just the right temperature year-round.