One of the most reported problem by the Xbox one users is that their Xbox one won’t turn on. Are you also one of them?
No worries! I’ve faced it too and fixed it myself (luckily!).
In most of the cases, the issue with your Xbox One console or cable problems or an overheated power supply.
In this post, I am sharing all the possible solutions if your Xbox one wont power on, or if it does, it runs for a moment and then turns off unexpectedly.
Let us find out what you can do fix in each of the cases.
Case 1: If Your Xbox One Won’t Turn on at All
To fix this, you need to find out where the problem exactly.
Solution 1: Check the Controller
First of all, if you are trying to turn on your console with your Xbox one controller, do the following steps.
- If your console does not turn on when you press the Xbox button on your controller, try pressing the power button on the console itself.
- If the console turns on as usual, it means the console is just fine but the batteries in your controller needs to be replaced.
- You can also plug your controller to the console with the USB cable and try again.
- If that also does not work, your controller is dead. Find out more about choosing the right Xbox one controller.
Solution 2: Check the Power Cord
Next thing you must check is the power cord and cabling. Follow the steps below.
- Make sure that the power cord is firmly seated in the console and that it’s plugged into the outlet securely. If not, unplug the cord from both places, plug it in back and try again.
- If you’re using a power strip, make sure the switch of your power strip is turned on. Also, see if other appliances are working with that power strip.
- Try plugging your console in another outlet on the power strip to see if that works.
- Remove the power strip. Plug your console and power supply directly into the wall socket and see if turns on. If so, your power strip has an issue not the console.
Solution 3: Check the Power Supply
Most common culprit behind your console issue is a faulty power supply and here’s how you can identify the same.
- First, just unplug the power supply/ power brick from the wall socket as well as from the console.
- Wait for at least 10 seconds and look for the LED indicator on your power supply. In most cases, you’ll find it on the back of it near the vents.
- Now, first connect the cord into the console and then plug in the power supply to the wall socket.
- Check the LED indicator. It should light up. If it doesn’t light up or starts blinking in orange color, you need to replace the power supply.
- You can visit any of the video games stores or the ones that sell gaming consoles to find a new Xbox one power supply.
- If LED indicator is steady with white light or steady orange light, push the power button on your console and it should turn on.
- If it does not, then the problem is with your Xbox one and I would suggest to get it serviced.
Case 2: If Your Xbox One Suddenly Shuts Down
Did your xbox one just shuts down abruptly? It could be the case of overheating. Follow these steps to prevent overheating.
- Make sure that your console has proper ventilation.
- Do not place it between too many objects. Remove the objects that are especially near the vents that may hinder in drawing air to your console.
- Keep the vent on the casing clean and free from dust. You can use a blower or dry cloth to remove the dust if any.
Case 3: If the Xbox One Shuts Off and Won’t Turn Back On
Even after cleaning the dust and ensuring proper ventilation, if your Xbox one does not power up, you need to go through your settings.
- Start with the settings menu and go to the ‘Power & Start-up’ option.
- In this section, check the ‘Instant-On’ feature. If it is turned on, turn it off. The Instant On feature puts your console to sleep mode instead of powering it down.
- It is for making your console turn on faster but sometimes it interfere with starting itself. I suggest you to set it to ‘Energy-saving’ mode.
- Next, in the same menu, you’ll see auto-shutdown setting. If it is on, then turn it off. Auto shutdown makes your console to turn off automatically after some time.
Case 4: If Your Xbox One Makes Noise But Won’t Turn On
Sometimes, when you turn on the console, you’ll be able to hear the sounds but there’s nothing on the TV screen.
This is generally because your TV is not getting signals from the console and here’s how you can fix it.
- Unplug the HDMI cord from your console as well as your TV and plug them back properly.
- In case you’re having a splitter or something similar, ensure its cord is properly connected and it is powered on (if required).
- Try turning on the Xbox one, you should see graphics on the TV screen.
- If not, go to the TV settings menu and check the Output options.
- Make sure you have selected the correct HDMI output especially when you have more than one HDMI ports or more than one console connected to your TV.
So, that was all.
In my opinion, in each of the cases, you need to first find out the exact cause of the issue. Once you find it, it really simple to fix an Xbox one that won’t turn on.
Hope this has helped you to get your Xbox one working again. If you are still facing problems, you can connect directly with Xbox one customer support.