Damp proof paints are indeed lifesavers for damp walls. However, their benefits cannot be experienced unless the proper practices for effective application are followed. Read on to discover the best way to apply damp-proof paint, as well as the results that follow.
How to Apply Damp-Proof Paint
So, how is damp-proof paint applied? Time to have a look:
- First, ensure that the area to be painted is cleaned thoroughly. In essence, all old paint coatings and debris are washed off, and mold and fungi are removed as well.
- Use a mold wash concentrate for effective cleaning and removal of the mold and fungi.
- Ensure the damp-proof paint possesses a consistency that’s similar to thick emulsion paint. It should also be UV-ray-resistant and abrasion-resistant.
- Choose what tool, i.e., brush, roller, or spray, to apply the paint onto the walls.
- Allow up to an hour or 90 minutes before applying a second coat
And with that, you can confidently waterproof your walls through damp-proof painting.
Benefits Of Applying Damp Proof Paint on Walls
There are some key benefits that come with applying damp-proof paint. They include:
- Damp-proof paints are usually non-toxic, making them safe to use
- They are free from plasticizer and solvents
- Damp-proof paints are also resistant to alkaline surfaces and silage acids
- Application, when done properly, yields a clean and neat finish
- The best remedy for damp surfaces and it offers flexibility and durability
- Efficient application is boosted by its smooth finish and quick drying time
Tips For Effective Application of Damp-Proof Paint
Beyond the simple steps to applying damp-proof paint on walls, there are other tips to follow for effective application. These extra tips are what make the difference between a faulty damp-proof paint and a damp-proof paint application with zero faults. Read on below to find them out.
- Firstly, never forget to sand the walls before applying paint. This is especially useful for glossy walls and walls with multiple residues and rough surfaces.
- When sanding walls before painting, have your face mask on for proper protection. This will help you avoid dust inhalation.
- Always use the paint as instructed by the manufacturers. Rather than freestyling or painting according to your gut, following instructions will ensure you get the best out of the paint. It also ensures you make limited errors during the painting process.
- It’s important to avoid stretching the materials when trying to cover large areas.
The application of damp-proof paint to walls is one of the best ways of waterproofing your buildings. It’s an effective practice that keeps your walls free from moisture and, in turn, keeps the building structure intact.
In the end, only proper and error-free damp-proof paint application will allow you to enjoy its benefits. So be sure to combine the tips with other tips from the damp proofing specialists london.